Microneedling is a popular facial treatment that involves puncturing the skin with tiny needles to stimulate collagen production and improve the skin’s overall appearance. Knowing what to expect is essential if you’re considering getting a microneedling facial for the first time. In this blog post, we’ll cover the key things you need to know before your first microneedling facial, including the benefits, the process, and what to expect during and after the treatment.
What is Microneedling and its Benefits
Microneedling is a cosmetic procedure involving a small derma roller or a pen-like device containing tiny needles. The needles penetrate the skin’s surface to create micro-injuries, stimulating the body’s natural healing process. This, in turn, activates the production of collagen and elastin, two essential proteins that give the skin its elasticity and firmness.
Microneedling has many benefits, including:
- Minimizing fine lines and wrinkles
- Improving skin texture and tone
- Reducing acne scars and stretch marks
- Reducing hyperpigmentation and sun damage
- Shrinking pores
- Boosting the effectiveness of topical skincare products
The Microneedling Process
Before the procedure, the esthetician or dermatologist will clean your face and apply a topical anesthetic to numb the skin. This ensures you will not feel any pain or discomfort during the treatment. After the drug has taken effect, the esthetician will begin the microneedling process.
The device is moved across the skin in a criss-cross motion, creating tiny punctures on the skin’s surface. The esthetician will adjust the depth of the needles based on your skin’s needs. They may go over some regions of your face more than once to ensure that the micro-injuries are evenly distributed.
The procedure typically takes 30-60 minutes, depending on the size of the treatment area. After the treatment, the esthetician will apply a soothing serum to your skin to help it heal.
What to Expect During the Microneedling Facial
During the microneedling facial, you may feel a slight tingling or prickling sensation on your skin. However, thanks to the topical anesthetic, most people do not experience any pain or discomfort.
After the treatment, your skin may appear red and slightly swollen, similar to a mild sunburn. This is normal and should subside within a few hours to a few days. You may also experience mild peeling and flaking as your skin heals and regenerates.
Aftercare Tips for Your Microneedling Facial
Following some aftercare tips is essential to help your skin heal properly after your microneedling facial. These include:
- Avoiding direct sunlight and wearing sunscreen: Your skin will be more sensitive to the sun after the treatment, so it’s essential to avoid direct sunlight and wear sunscreen with at least SPF 30.
- Avoiding makeup: Avoid wearing makeup for the first 24-48 hours after your treatment to allow your skin to heal perfectly.
- Avoiding harsh skincare products: Avoid using any powerful skincare products, including exfoliants, for the first few days after your treatment.
- Keeping your skin hydrated: Drink plenty of water and apply a gentle, hydrating moisturizer to your skin to help it heal and regenerate.
How Often to Get Microneedling Facials
The frequency of microneedling facials depends on your skin’s needs and the desired results. Generally, waiting at least four weeks between treatments is recommended to allow your skin to heal and regenerate fully.
Three to six treatments may be recommended for general skin rejuvenation, spaced four to six weeks apart. For acne scars or deep wrinkles, more frequent treatments may be necessary. Your esthetician or dermatologist can recommend a personalized treatment plan based on your skin’s needs and goals.
Who Should and Should Not Get Microneedling Facials
Microneedling facials are generally safe for most people. However, certain conditions may make microneedling unsuitable or require extra caution, such as:
- Active acne or rosacea: Microneedling can worsen active acne or rosacea, and it’s generally recommended to wait until the condition has cleared before getting a microneedling facial.
- Skin infections or diseases: People with skin infections or conditions like eczema or psoriasis may need to avoid microneedling or consult their dermatologist first.
- Blood clotting disorders: People with blood clotting disorders or taking blood thinners may need to avoid microneedling, as it can increase the risk of bleeding or bruising.
- Pregnancy or breastfeeding: Microneedling is not recommended for pregnant or breastfeeding women, as the safety of the treatment in these cases has not been established.
Combining Microneedling with Other Treatments
Microneedling can be combined with other facial treatments to enhance its benefits or address specific skin concerns. Some popular combinations include:
- Microneedling with PRP: PRP (platelet-rich plasma) is a treatment that uses the patient’s blood to stimulate healing and rejuvenation. Microneedling can help facilitate the absorption of PRP into the skin, resulting in improved skin texture, tone, and overall appearance.
- Microneedling with hyaluronic acid: Hyaluronic acid is a popular skincare ingredient that hydrates and plumps the skin. Combining microneedling with hyaluronic acid can enhance the skin’s ability to absorb the element, resulting in more significant and longer-lasting benefits.
- Microneedling with chemical peels: Combining microneedling with chemical peels can help address more severe skin concerns, such as deep wrinkles and scars. The combination can improve skin texture, tone, and overall appearance more effectively than either treatment alone.
In conclusion, if you’re looking for a safe and effective way to improve your skin’s appearance and address various skin concerns, microneedling may be an excellent option. By stimulating collagen production and triggering the body’s natural healing process, microneedling can reduce fine lines and wrinkles, minimize the appearance of scars and stretch marks, and improve overall skin texture and tone.
If you’re interested in trying microneedling, consider visiting JennMarie Medspa, a premier medspa that offers a range of cosmetic treatments, including microneedling. With a team of highly skilled and trained estheticians and state-of-the-art equipment, JennMarie Medspa is committed to providing safe and effective treatments that deliver visible results. Contact JennMarie Medspa today to schedule your microneedling facial and take the first step towards healthier, more radiant skin.